Summer Season - November to April
With hot days and balmy nights, this is the wet season. If you fancy fewer tourists and spectacular lightning shows, sunsets, waterfalls and wildlife, it can be an amazing time to be in the Kimberley. The rain usually comes down in heavy, short bursts in the afternoon and evenings, but do be ware roads can be closed due to local flooding. Be sure to get good advise before planning your trip in this time, although many tours operate year-round, some attractions cannot be accessed due to closed roads and local flooding.
Winter season - May to November
The most popular time to visit the Kimberley is the winter season. Daytime temperatures range from 20°C to 30°C, perfect for enjoying all outdoor activities. On the coast, nights are cool with fresh breezes, while inland the wind off the desert can see temperatures plummet to near freezing.
- Beginning in early June, every winter the Australian humpback whale migration begins along the Kimberley coast.
- From July to September wildflowers of all colours, sizes and shapes can be seen throughout the Kimberley.
- Turtle nesting in Australia’s North West begins in September and ends in November.
- Staircase to the Moon: Occurs 3 nights every month from March to October. Broome.
- Court House Markets; Cnr Frederick & Hamersley Street, Broome.
Weekly every Sat & Sun (April - Nov) at the Broome Courthouse between 8am - 1pm. Local produce, food stalls, hand made crafts, clothing & much more head down to the local markets.
April / May
Big Moon Rising: is the annual Broome Arts and Music Festival every April and May.
Kimberley Writers Festival: An event that focuses on all aspects of the written, spoken, illustrated and performed word.
September / October
- Shinjuri Matsuri Festival of the Pearl: Celebrating the excitement and mulitcultralism of the 200 year old pearl industry that contribute to the spirit and energy of exotic Broome today.
- Worn Art: A spectacular wearble art festival of fashion, performance, music and dance. Some say it´s like Cirque Du Soliel; but even more artistic and stunning.
- The Great Toad Muster: An eco-adventure with a difference!
- Mango Festival: Slip into Mango fever and celebrate the luscious fruit in all its embodiements; from beer to cocktails. Including the Great Chef and Great Bartenders of Broome competitions.
- Matso’s Broome Brewery, Hamersley Street
- Mon to Fri, 4 - 6pm: Enjoy a FREE schooner upgrade when you purchase a middy.
- Friday 6 - 9pm: Enjoy an award winning brew & great food while listening to live music.
- Sunday from 230pm: Every Sunday come on down to Matsos Broome Brewery for our famous sunday session before the week starts and enjoy a schooner upgrade as well as extensive Bar snacks & drinks available.